'Free' Veggies!

I happened upon this pin on Pinterest listing a bunch of vegetables that could be grown from the bits you don't use. I ended up at '17 apart's blog where I got fully inspired to try this! As luck would have it, I had a tired celery and spring onion bunch just chilling out in the fridge. After depositing their good bits into soup, I dunked their tootsies into warm water as instructed, and waited. Very hard to stop oneself going back to check every couple of hours.... But actually, you can see a noticeable difference in growth from morning to night once they get under way.

Celery is flipping awesome. It just sends up these new little leaves from the centre, and starts to harden up it's root end. I no longer think of my vegges as dead. They are alive in my fridge till I have murdered them with knives, heat, and seasoning. Maybe in a kind of Cryo-state...
Anyway, I digress (and you have to appreciate the effort I'm making to not daydream about a 'revenge-of-the-veggies' cartoon), check out my first attempt with Celery. Day One, chopped off and put in warm water. Day Two through Eight, change water each day and admire. Day Nine, party's over boys, into the dirt you go. Good luck fending off the blasted snails! (Actually, I had to give him some protection and shelter him under a half-bottle plastic-house,)
The Spring Onions were a little sneaky. The ones I'd cut right down sort of greened up first. Then I noticed that the part below where I'd cut them off just kind of got taller. You can see the growth by noting how far down the stalk the dried up layer is. Around day five, they grew a totally new shoot! Exciting stuff!
 The next lot I photographed had some leaves cut off, but the main leaf, I left on. These also greened up quick, and also sent up new shoots!  Yippee! Once they get going, they really grow quick. So again, on day 9 these guys all packed their bags and moved to the garden (today). Apparently, you can keep them growing out there just cutting off the tips as you need them. Now that's what I call brilliant!

If you have littlies, this is a brilliant little project to do with them that offers quick rewards. They can be involved with changing the water each day, and the older kids could even keep a little chart measuring growth with a ruler each day...

Now I'm trying my luck with a Leek.

Comments

  1. I might have to try this with the kids, and I would LOVE spring onions in my garden that I can snip bits off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! How handy would that be, eh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Link shared in the Food Shelf Friday post, "Waste Not, Want Not: Regrowing Food from Kitchen Scraps." https://foodshelffriday.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/waste-not-want-not-regrowing-food-from-kitchen-scraps/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I only just saw this comment now, sorry!

      Delete
  4. And my mom would put a border around her patches with marigolds and onions. She said it warded off the bugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My snails snipped ALL my marigolds overnight! :(

      Delete

Post a Comment